Sunday, February 3, 2013

The Write Attitude

What would I do, or start, today if I knew for certain that I couldn't fail, if i knew that success were guaranteed?  Wouldn't that be the most amazing, heading-for-the-top-of-the-world feeling?  And my answer to that question is easy:  I'd finish the novel.
On the way
Now that January is finally over, life feels so much more hopeful because, in my mind, we've passed the middle of winter and we're on the glorious slide towards spring.  Wheee!  Suddenly anything is possible in this world that will only get better for the next few months.

So, another chapter?  Quite possibly.  Maybe only a few pages but writing is still writing and progress is exactly that: progress.  My experience with writing generally is that the hardest part is to plant my bottom in that chair, no matter where the chair happens to be, and just begin. 
This was a great place to keep my bottom planted for a while!
After a few lines that feel awkward or contrived, suddenly it all begins to flow and I can hardly make myself stop to keep up with other necessary activities.  I call that the "sweet zone" and I've been known to work until 3:00 am because I didn't want to lose the momentum and because I was having so much fun.  and then I can always change those first few lines that didn't work so well but served their purpose by getting me started.

For me, writing my novel is like reading a good novel; I can't wait to find out what happens next and I have a hard time putting it down and going to bed.  Ah yes, today the world feels so write!


No comments:

Post a Comment