Monday, May 27, 2013

Busy, Busy, Busy

I'm not a bee but sometimes I think I need to be able to buzz about as speedily as one of these winged marvels in order to keep up with everything that's going on in my life right now.  It seems "the faster I go, the behinder I get."  I'm not sure who coined that phrase but I know it wasn't me.  That said, it really describes how my life feels right now.

So, what am I going to do about it?  I just spent a good part of my weekend at a professional conference where the speaker stressed the importance of mindfulness.  The phrase he used at the conference and in his book was "are we paying attention to what we're paying attention to?"  That should slow me down.

If I were really honest, I'd have to say that I'm paying attention to what's next; what needs to be done first; how much there still is that needs to be done; and how I can possibly manage to keep up with everything.  That's not exactly the kind of thinking that inspires peace or serenity.

On one wall in my home office here on my country mile hangs a beautiful picture that quotes the Scripture, "Be still and know  that I am God."  On another wall hangs a beautifully decorated motto that proclaims,

"Make time for quiet moments, 
As God whispers, 
And the world is loud."

It seems I've surrounded myself with the advice I now need most to hear.  My work is all about helping people to choose their next steps or to identify the changes they need to make in order for life to "work" for them.  I often encourage them to make time for silence to hear God, their Higher Power, or the Voice of the Universe (however they conceive of it). Perhaps I need to listen to myself, the wisdom I have picked up over the years and through my training, to find the serenity I'm missing.

No comments:

Post a Comment