Monday, August 5, 2013

Addicted!

I've had a couple of extra days off over the August long weekend and have been able to make time to indulge in some of my favourite things.  I enjoyed a visit here on my country mile from my grandsons, ate junk food snacks with them, and watched more TV in one weekend than I usually do in a month.  The first four Harry Potter movies comprised our movie marathon weekend with our delightful grandsons.

Speaking of Harry Potter brings to mind my addiction: reading.  And J.K. Rawlings is a very fine author to spend some time with as I indulge my addiction whenever I have a few days off work.  I just finished reading The Cuckoo's Call by"Robert Galbraith" who was revealed by a leak to media to be J. K.Rawlings herself.  As she did with the Harry Potter series, Rawlings has created well-rounded characters, complete with flaws and foibles, and crafted an intricate mystery with plot twists and turns to keep a reader guessing -- and addicted -- right until the very end.  She's also left room for a follow-up novel, perhaps even birthed a new series.  I certainly hope so, as I need to keep feeding my addiction.

Reading has always been my addiction.  When I was a little girl, Mom always knew where to find me: in my room with my "nose in a book" was the fond answer to that question.  I used to bring home a stack of novels from the public library in the western Manitoba town where I grew up and read eight or ten novels in a week during my summer holidays.
 Because I have an imagination, I loved nothing better than to get lost in some other person's world or some other person's life.  That was the beginning of my addiction, which I've since learned to control by not starting a book when I'm working or busy with family activities.  But when I'm on holidays, ah that's another story -- literally -- or three or four.

No comments:

Post a Comment