Recently I reduced my counselling work week to three days. I've made those three days a little longer, so I can still see a good number of clients and also have two weekdays at home for my other job, which is writing.
And working at home sounds idyllic, doesn't it? Just think, I could stay in my pyjamas all day; no one would know what I'm wearing (or not) while I do my work on-line. Another bonus would be that I decide how many hours I would work each day. If I don't feel like working today, then I don't have to. Ah, yes, it really seems perfect.
The only problem is that it doesn't quite work that way. At least not for me. I've found that I need some discipline (okay, a lot of discipline) and structure if I'm going to accomplish anything and grow my work to the point of bringing in a decent income. I need to be dressed to feel like I'm working. When I'm in my pjs, it's too easy to let myself be distracted by the Ipad games that I enjoy or to curl up in my recliner with a good book. A writer needs to stay aware of the new books or articles in her preferred genre but she also needs to focus on a lot more than that in her workday.
That's why I need to designate certain hours that are working hours, whether I feel like writing then or not. In any other workplace, I wouldn't get to choose if I feel like it; I 'd simply have to work the required hours. There's all kinds of research that shows that an established routine makes more productive workers, no matter where they're working. I also always make sure to schedule myself a few breaks also to give my body a break from sitting and typing.
At home is the best place to write for me, as I have my office there set up exactly the way I need it. While I always imagined I could work from any spot in my house where I could have my laptop nearby, the truth turns out to be that I need one space that's designated as my office. Having a designated place to work frees me from distractions and helps me get into work mode each time I walk into the room. It's also great to have a place where the mess created by some projects can be hidden away from the rest of the house. Only one door to close to achieve a tidy looking home!
With these provisions in place, I can hardly wait for the days when I'll be working from home most of the time!

No comments:
Post a Comment