Monday, January 18, 2016

Blue Monday? Be Healthy Anyway!

I've read several news items recently that identify today, the third Monday in January, as "Blue Monday."  A little more research identified the concept as a marketing strategy by a person trying to motivate people to buy vacations. 

He defined the day as the one when the reality of failed New Year's resolutions combined with the arrival of credit card bills for holiday spending and the extremes of winter weather would settle on a person and induce a state of depression.  This marketing strategist proposed spending more money on products or sunny vacations as a remedy for the condition.

Well, the flaws in that solution are quite evident but the condition itself is likely real.  I wouldn't go so far as to link it to one particular Monday of the year but I can certainly agree that the winter blues or even full blown Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) are likely in full effect today for those who experience that mental health issue in the darkest days of winter.

And the remedies for that are regular exercise, healthy eating, social interactions and engaging in enjoyable activities.  The problem, of course, is that depression robs us of the energy to do exactly those things that we know we ought to be doing to move towards a healthier state of mind.  A conundrum indeed, when the symptoms of the illness are exactly what prevent us from recuperating from it!

Anyway

When I speak with clients about recovering from a depressive episode, I often point out to them that the operative word is "anyway."  For example, "I know I should exercise but I don't have the energy today ... and I'll exercise a few minutes anyway."  When I push myself to do a little anyway, I gain a feeling of accomplishment that can hopefully motivate me to repeat the exercise tomorrow.  

As I get used to moving again and reap the benefits (feelings of accomplishment and higher self-esteem), I might be able gradually to increase the amount or time of exercising.  Before I know it, I'll be feeling healthier and more motivated and perhaps able to take on a few of the other things I might have let go of while I was so depressed that every task felt like too much work.  Now I might want to make the effort to eat healthier meals or eliminate some unhealthy snacking.

The trick is to set myself up for success by establishing reasonable, manageable goals and allowing myself time to increase them gradually.  And that's how I survive "Blue Monday" and all the other blue days of winter.  And you can, too.  You may not feel you have the energy but start small and do it anyway!

1 comment:

  1. I don't have the energy to take your advice, but I'll try ANYWAY!

    ReplyDelete