Saturday, July 7, 2012

When Inspiration Strikes

I almost blew it again today.  While on a drive to enjoy some other country miles, my thoughts were idling, almost in neutral, when the gears suddenly started turning.  One idea led to another and now, at top speed, my mind was churning out a promising idea to write about, maybe to post as a blog.  Hmmm, I mused, I should make a note of that so I don't forget when I'm home and ready to write.  No, I contradicted myself, I'd never forget this one.

But my experience says otherwise.  How often have I come to my desk and racked my brain, trying to remember the idea I was so excited about yesterday or last week?  Oh, if only I'd quickly written down a few key words, is then my lament.  But, alas (such a delightfully outmoded and tragic word ... and one of my favourites), I failed to make note of it.

I'm trying to correct that lately. No matter how struck I am by a good idea in the moment, I know I'll forget it if I don't write it down somewhere.  So, I've stashed notebooks everywhere... in my office, my car, my briefcase, pretty much every room in the house and every bag I own, and especially in my purse.  I used to buy purse-sized notebooks; recently I've switched  to buying notebook-sized purses.  Priorities, right?
There's nothing I like more than a good-sized spiral notebook and a cushion-grip, fine-point, black-ink pen, just like this combo.  I usually have a good supply of new ones just waiting for me to be inspired.  The stationary department is my biggest temptation in any store and I need to be chained up in August and September when almost every store you go into displays stacks and stacks of different coloured and beautifully textured notebooks.

I do most of my organized writing on my computer keyboard and my arthritic fingers are grateful for the relief offered by modern technology.  That said, I still can't get by without my trusty notebooks for those inspiring moments that come out of the blue; then I wouldn't feel like a real writer without pen and notebook at hand.  

What was the idea that came to me on our drive today?  I thought I should write a blog post about how important it is always to have a notebook handy, in case inspiration strikes.  Did I have one handy?  Yes, thank goodness!

No comments:

Post a Comment