Saturday, December 8, 2012

A Blue and White Day

I'm feeling a little blue today.  Ordinarily a day like today would have been high on my list of favourite days.  Lots of good things have happened today, but I'm blue anyway.

It’s snowing outside, has been all day.  My world here at the end of my country mile has morphed into a snow globe, complete with huge swirling snowflakes, frost on the windowpanes, and doggie footprints in the new fallen snow. There’s a wind; it’s too raw and icy cold to go out.  I’m enjoying it all from inside my cozy house.  Everyone is safe at home.  And it’s the weekend … 

 
I’ve spent my day being good.  Chores are done; we had an excellent supper (if I do say so myself); I’ve caught up with essential emails; and I did some research for my next series of newspaper articles.  I’ve even begun a little Christmas baking, a lovely thing to do on a snow-globe kind of a day.  I think now I deserve to take the evening off and enjoy some pleasure reading.  As a treat before bedtime, I might start the next chapter of the novel I’m working on – but only as much as I feel like writing – absolutely no pressure tonight.

A few years ago, before Alzheimer Disease hid the best of my father from us, I’d have called home and talked to Mom and Dad, likely ending up in a religious or philosophical discussion with Dad for a half hour or so.  I miss that so much, miss him being there, even if I couldn’t talk with him like we used to.  And hence the blues.  

 But now I’m still going to call my Mom, see how the weather is treating her there, and enjoy a bit of visiting time with her.  Then it’s more “me” time.  And, hopefully soon I'll be more able to say what I used to say, "Don’t you just love snowy weather and weekends?"

No comments:

Post a Comment