Many of you have sent lovely Christmas cards and
beautiful family photos this year. I treasure them all. Please accept this post with my wishes for a Merry Christmas and some updates on our family life
as my greeting card to all my readers.
This year on our country mile has been good at times with happy and exciting
events and very hard at other times. As many of you already know, the hardest
thing our family has had to accept this year was the very recent death of my
beloved father. He was only two and a half weeks away from his ninety-first
birthday when he passed away, with all of us at his side, in the very early
hours of November 14. He was a real gentleman and a gentle man and we all miss
him dearly. I’m trying to remind myself frequently that I was very blessed to
have had him in my life this long but I do still get overwhelmed by grief
often. Our family is different for having had him and now we are different for
having lost him.
We are also very aware of the circle of life and how it
works as were blessed on the same day, a few hours after Dad left us, with the
safe arrival of my sister Monika’s first grandchild, the seventh
great-grandchild for Dad and Mom. As we said when we heard the news of little
Cooper’s arrival, one soul struggled to leave this world for heaven while
another new soul came from heaven and laboured to enter the world. I like to fancy
they passed each other somewhere on the way.
Off and on this year we have lost more trees on our property
as many were damaged in the windstorm of two years ago and were easily felled
now by high winds or, as happened in early October, unseasonal heavy, wet snow.
As our property changes we are resigning ourselves to less privacy and yet
enjoying more wildlife exploring our yard and entertaining us. The beagles,
Baxter and Coco, are often frantic at the audacity of these wild intruders and
make their objections loudly heard. Thank goodness for understanding
neighbours!
My husband and I have done some travelling this year and really
enjoyed a lot of new experiences. Our favourite was a road trip to Texas in
February. We spent a day in San Antonio and then a few days in the Rockport
area. Rockport is right on the Gulf coast, near Corpus Christi, where we also
spent a day seeing a few of the sights. There’s nothing quite like sand, sun,
and ocean in the middle of February, an experience we found so delightful we
are planning to repeat it this winter, only a little longer this time. If all
works out as we hope, we’ll meet one of my sisters and her husband there, which
is going to add a whole new dimension of pleasure to this trip.
When the travel bug bites, it itches for a long time and so
in September we decided to scratch that itch again with a trip to the Upper
Peninsula of Michigan and Niagara Falls. I had never seen the Falls before and
was particularly impressed with the Canadian side. Even though I had injured my
left leg in a nasty fall about six weeks earlier and was definitely still
feeling the effects, I managed a lot of walking and all the stairs it takes to
get anywhere near the Falls. They were definitely worth the effort. I had lost
a fair bit of weight in the months previous to our trip and was I ever glad I
did. All that walking helped keep it off, even when I sampled a few too many
varieties of the delicious fudge available on Mackinac Island in Michigan! You
can read all about our trip and some of the events of our summer in other posts.
Writing this blog for you is something I still really enjoy, along
with my two columns for our local newspaper. Just recently I also wrote an
article for a newsmagazine called ChristianWeek (you can find them on the
Internet) and have been asked to do another for their February, 2013 edition. I’m
still always looking for new writing markets and opportunities and still
working on that novel. My counselling practice continues to be very busy and
I’m working four long days each week, even though I had hoped that would change
this year, and thus not finding as much time for writing as I would like. We
had a second counsellor in the branch office where I work for my agency for a time but she
left us after only a few months when her husband was transferred to another province.
So, it’s back to just me, at least for the foreseeable future.
My husband, whom I affectionately call "the squire," continues to enjoy retirement and loves searching the
Internet for travel destinations and planning our trips. He also makes sure to
check in on his mother in Winnipeg more often, as she has had some health
issues recently. When he’s home the dogs keep him busy and also keep him
company when I’m at work or involved in church activities. We lost our beautiful
German Shepherd, Lady, to old age at the beginning of January but two energetic
beagles are a handful even without a German Shepherd to divert them with play.
They don't look too active here, but you should see them just before their supper time!
In
the spring Garry built me a third raised garden, which I really enjoyed. Our
summer was quite hot and dry so some vegetables weren’t quite as nice as I had
hoped but others, like the beans, were excellent.With any kind of luck, my Mom, my mother-in-law, all our children, and their families will be with us for Christmas Day this year. I’m looking forward to having 14 people at the table and I have an appropriately large turkey waiting in the freezer! Gifts are purchased; wrapping is nearly done; the house and tree are decorated; and the baking is … well, let’s just call it a work in progress. But it will be done; it always is. I remind myself that Christmas is not just about food, although there’s a lot to be said for the smell of roasting turkey… and the taste of cheesecake.
Right now, thanks to days of fog and hoar frost followed by colder days that brought lots of fluffy snow, we live in a Christmas card. The trees are coated with white lace crochet work and topped off with snow-sugar icing. Every branch, twig, and pine needle has become an intricately beautiful work of art.
This picture and the one at the top are taken in colour!
All in all, it’s been a memorable year for our family; life has been very hard at times and yet very good at other times. The hardest times make a person appreciate the support and prayers of family and friends and so, as we count our blessings and grieve our losses, we’re still grateful that we can count you among our dearest friends. In closing, I wish you and yours a very blessed and merry Christmas season and offer best wishes also for a happy and healthy New Year.
No comments:
Post a Comment