Have I ever told you what a mean boss I work for? This woman is driving me crazy! She’s incredibly demanding; no one could live
up to her perfectionist standards. She’s
always making me put more client hours into my week, always driving me to do even more, and constantly telling me that what I do isn’t nearly enough and not as good as she thinks it could be.
The worst of it is that she wouldn’t dream of holding anyone else to her over-the-top standards. No, she saves all her “work harder, do more, and do it better” energy to vent on me.
Well, this morning I came to a milestone decision. No more giving in to her unreasonable demands. It’s time I set some boundaries. Next time she starts in on me, I will tell her, politely but firmly, that I’m doing as well as I ought to be, perhaps even better than some, and that she will have to be content with that.
But I know what a slave driver she can be. I know it will bother her to no end to see me relaxing, enjoying the peace and quiet of my country mile, reading a good book, or spending some time writing. She’ll lay the guilt on thicker than ever, if I let her. So, I’ll have to keep my guard up and be alert for her sneaky guilt attacks.
But I can do it. All morning I’ve been rehearsing what I’ll say to her. She may be demanding and emotionally manipulative, but she’s no match for me. I’m ready for her!
Oh, did I mention that I’m self-employed?
No comments:
Post a Comment