Several years ago my daughter, Jenn, gave me a gift that I instantly fell in love with, a beautiful garden angel. When I plant my garden each year, it never feels quite finished until my garden angel is set in place to keep a watchful eye on how well it's growing.
Isn't she beautiful? And I love the sense of peace and serenity the simple verse evokes in me each time I read it.
And now my garden angel has a name. Just today, as I set her into her special place, I realized I have to name her after my Jenn who gave her to me. Because Jenn planted that whole garden for me today!
I've not been as mobile this spring as I usually am and other forces of life and nature were conspiring against me ever getting the garden planted. When it's already June 3 and your health dictates that you do only a little bit each day, and you have to work the next three days, but the forecast calls for rain again tomorrow ... well, there was my dilemma, and I was feeling the pressure.
I had reluctantly decided that maybe I would have to pass on having a garden this year, when I had another idea. Perhaps I could ask Jenn for help? Oh but I hate to admit I can't do something; I don't want to give more power to my chronic pain, Jenn might think I'm getting too old and weak to manage here, Jenn might say that if I'm not up to planting it I shouldn't expect to have one, Jenn has a career as a gifted photographer and might have bookings today ... oh, I had a hundred reasons why I shouldn't ask for help!
But I swallowed my pride (yes, that's what those hundred reasons were really all about) and called, offering to share the produce with her in return for all that hard work. Do you suppose she said any of the things I was imagining and using as excuses not to call? Of course not! What she said was something like, "Oh, I'd love to. My back yard is under water from all the rain and it looks like it won't be dry in time for me to have a garden this year. I love planting and I'd love some of the fresh produce when it's ready."
And she came shortly before 11:00 this morning and planted not only the whole garden by 1:30 but, after a quick lunch break, also my hanging flower baskets and half a dozen large pots to adorn the yard. She truly is my garden angel. Thanks again, Jenn.

It realty was my pleasure, but I'm touched it meant so much to you. I hope it grows as well as when you plant, I definitely learnt some tricks!
ReplyDeleteOh, I think "our" garden will do just fine. You did as well as I would have ... and you were quicker. I was impressed; it seemed like you had done it a million times.
ReplyDelete