Monday, October 21, 2013

Heroism

Apparently I am a hero.  At least, I qualify according to the definition offered by the Canadian Mental Health Association at their annual Heroes of Mental Health awards luncheon.
In addition to some concerns about questionable grammar in their definition, I feel that my achievement (writing a weekly column on mental health for five years) doesn't necessarily imply noble qualities.

But it is definitely nice to be recognized and it's especially nice to think that there's even more attention drawn to the cause.  I write the column because I believe that it's time we demystify and destigmatize mental health issues.  And the best way to do that, at least the best way that corresponded with my talents, seemed to be to write a column for our local newspaper.  

In the column, "Let's Talk Mental Health," I offer some straight talk and a healthy dose of psycho-education about mental health, mental illness, and the crippling stigma that still exist and keep many people from seeking help when they need it.
Here, I'm pictured with some of the other "Heroes of Mental Health" who received awards that day in different categories.  Some told stories of bravery and courage in their recovery process and at least one shared the deep impact that someone else's mental illness had on her childhood  and how it motivated her now to support local iniatives for people in recovery.  I think they are the true heroes of mental health, the people who are impacted by it daily and still work to build as good a life for themselves and others as they can despite it.



No comments:

Post a Comment