I can't believe what I did today! I'm in Banff, Alberta for a counsellors' conference. "The squire" and I left our country mile on Wednesday morning and arrived here yesterday after a two day drive across the western prairies.
This morning we decided that, since the conference didn't begin until 7:00 this evening, we should take advantage of the chance to visit some of our favourite mountain scenery, as we haven't been here for several years. An hour's drive along the beautiful Bow Valley Parkway took us to Johnson's Canyon.
It's been on my "bucket list" to walk at least up to the Lower falls of that canyon at least once more in my life. To be honest though, I didn't really expect ever to do it because my feet and ankles have been deteriorating significantly and walking on level ground is more difficult than it was even a year ago. So it didn't seem reasonable to want to climb a twisting and turning rocky, slippery path.
But when the squire said, "what do you think, should we try it?" I didn't even pause to think before I said, "I'd like to hike to the Lower Falls." After I said it, I saw the sign that announced the Lower Falls were half a mile's worth of hiking. And then, of course, there was the return hike to do after that...
Halfway up I already began thinking that this wasn't going to work; my ankles were killing me and the slippery surfaces were dangerous in some places. But my natural stubborness kicked in. No way was I going to tell the squire how I was feeling! I decided just to keep climbing and think about something other than how my feet felt.
When I got to the top, I was so thrilled I even went through the cave-like tunnel to stand in the spray from the falls thundering by only a few feet away. The squire had decided he didn't want to get wet, so I went in on my own. I'm not sure I would have made it through and then back out again, had it not been for helpful strangers who sensed my hesitation at some points and gave me a hand for balance over the slipperiest spots.
And then somehow, with frequent stops to rest on some conveniently placed benches, I made it the half mile back down again, with more than a little encouragement from the squire.
And now I'm every bit as sore as I figured I'd be and happy to pay that price. I'm so pleased that I was able to do it. I can definitely stroke this one off my bucket list.
I shared my pleasure with a new friend at the conference tonight and she reminded me that I should also add something new to my bucket list now, for as she pointed out, "You never want to get to the end of the list."
No comments:
Post a Comment