I'm sitting on the deck here at the end of my country mile, reflecting on just having sold our house and property. Living here has nourished my soul for almost ten years now. For its well being, my soul needs close contact with nature and I've had it in generous amounts. This country mile has been my refuge from most of life's stresses. I've laughed and cried and prayed here more than most of you, dear readers, will ever know. I've met God here in amazing ways but primarily in the trees.
Primitive cultures used to erect tall poles to give them a sense of connection with their gods who lived in the sky. While I don't believe that I need height to connect with God, who is every where and in everything, there is something about the sight of tall trees sharp in contrast to the blue sky or the silhouetted against a vivid sunset that simply makes me want to pray.
And so, I'm grieving the losses I'll experience when we leave here in a month or so: the tall pines that grace our front yard, lifting their skirts to sway and dance in the breezes as the evening sunlight casts them in shadow and gold; the solitude of Nature quietly at work in her eternal ways; the lush Virginia Creeper that softly covers every structure it reaches out to in a flourish of green; the wrens and chipping sparrows that nest in it each year;
the hummingbirds that scold furiously if the squire is a little too slow to refill their feeders; and the moonlight late on a winter night, casting its elegant shadows on the sparkle of fresh fallen snow. Oh, yes, the moonlight in the wilderness ...
At the same time, I'm eagerly anticipating the move to a new and different country mile, one that ends in a lovely retirement community. There will be amenities such as friendly neighbours close by, community events, a recreation center with a pool, potential new friendships, and trees. Oh yes, we wouldn't dream of moving somewhere without lots of trees. At our new home, the trees nestle closer, reaching up and over to shade and protect our yard and house. The whole community is populated by trees, sees a variety of wildlife, and enjoys all the birds and more that we share our present country mile with.
Presently my heart is a house divided. I know we need to leave our present country mile ... but really don't want to do that. At the same time, I'm excited and looking forward to being settled in our new home and enjoying a brand new country mile.




No comments:
Post a Comment