Friday, February 17, 2017

Cacti and Salt Grass

I'm sitting poolside at one of our favourite hotels in Rockport, Texas.  We decided that a little break from snow and ice was in order and so, thanks to a daughter who was willing  to beagle-sit at home for us, here we are on an entirely different country mile that still somehow feels like home.

Yes, here we are ...  as far from snow, ice, and cold as you could wish without encountering the blistering heat and humidity of Mexico or other tropical locations; the Squire can't tolerate those climates.  We're enjoying temperatures in the mid 20s, salty sea breezes, and sunshine almost everyday.  One of our favourite activities is sitting quietly near the yachting channel down at Rockport Beach and watching the wild dolphins play and catch the fish disturbed by the passing of the boats.

We're enjoying coastal Texas with its magnificent live oaks, cacti and salt grass, and incredible bird life.  If I could chose an alternate place to live, coastal Texas would be my first choice.  The palm trees and cacti everywhere offer a strangely familiar, welcome-home kind of a feeling.  I've always enjoyed the beaches and beach towns in Manitoba, especially Grand Beach, Gimli, and points on Lake Manitoba.  Some of my happiest childhood memories center around days at the beach with Mom and Dad and those wonderful picnic lunches we enjoyed after brushing wet sand from our hands. The feeling here is much the same.

There's a special kind of soul freedom to be found in connecting with nature in such environments.  I can't tell you if everyone experiences it; perhaps it's different for everyone, but my soul soars here.  It's an environment very different from the one I was born and raised in but its differences speak to me as strongly as the familiar aspects of home.  I love to drive along the coastal flats and marshes observing and photographing bird life, live oaks, and the great variety of salt grasses and cacti.


Were I able bodied, I believe I would like to be a nature photographer.  Since I'm not able to leave my vehicle and tramp across rough terrain loaded down with photography equipment, I content myself with what I can do from the car, with a lot of help from the Squire.  The smell of the salt air, a marine breeze in my hair, and no fear of encountering snakes ... actually it's perfect for me.
(All photo credits: the Squire)

No comments:

Post a Comment