Sunday, February 19, 2017

Live Oaks

Live oaks are amazing trees, twisted, gnarled, and bent from withstanding hurricanes, salt spray, and constant,  unrelenting winds from the ocean.  They are everywhere in this part of Texas and are part of what makes it feel special for me.  I love trees; I would almost say that I need trees to feel at home.

One of the most special live oaks in Texas, possibly in the whole world, is located in Goose Island State Park, only a twenty minute drive from our hotel in Rockport.  What makes it so special is that it's more than one thousand years old.
Isn't it magnificent?  It has withstood all kinds of historic events and natural catastrophes over its long life span.  I've invited it to be my guest writer for this post  Here's what it wants to tell us:
Welcome to my home.  I have seen spring return more than a thousand times.  I can remember hundreds of hurricanes, most I'd rather forget, but I withstood.  There was a big fire once.  I hate fire.  

Around me are my offspring.  We are an old-dune woodland community.  We provide shelter and acorns for squirrels, jays, raccoons, bobwhite, deer, javelina, and most other members of our community.
 For most of my life I belonged only to myself.  Now I belong to you, or so I'm told. Hunnpf!  Branch breakers and root trampers the lot of you.

Some years ago someone came and patched my cracks, trimmed my dead branches, killed my pests, and healed my fungus rots.  Was that you?  I'm feeling much better, thank you.

I am tired now.  You may leave me in peace when you are ready to go.  Please leave my home as you found it.  I have important things to do.  The seasons are changing again and I must get ready.

Thank you, venerable oak.  There are lessons for all of us in your wise words.  If we can learn respect of nature from you, maybe there's hope we can improve in respecting each other as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment