The other day as I drove home to my stretch of country mile, I found myself thinking that right in that moment life was pretty good. I was glad I was a grown up and, for the most part, pretty pleased with the kind of adult I'd turned out to be.
As a child and as a teen, I just couldn't wait to grow up. I was sure I'd have it made, if I could only leave childhood behind and step confidently in the world of adults. Well, here I am, a real honest-to-goodness grownup for quite some time now, chronologically at least.
And it's great ... most of the time. There's lots to like about adulthood and then again, some things that aren't so great. Here's part of my list of pros and cons:
1. Pro: I can make my own choices.
Con: I have to make my own choices. And they come with responsibilities!
2. Pro: No one tells me what to do (and if they do, I don't have to do it - see #1)
Con: No one ever helps me out by telling me what to do.
3. Pro: I can make my birthday as special as I want.
Con: I have to go to work on my birthday.
4. Pro: I can eat all the ice-cream and junk food I want.
Con: I know what's in that stuff and I hate what it does to my scale read-out!
5. Pro: No curfew! I can stay up as late as I want.
Con: I can't do all-nighters like I used to when I was young. Darn, I need my eight hours!
6. Pro: I have my own money and choose how to spend it.
Con: This must be a myth. First, I have to work for my own money - no more allowance. Then, by the time I pay all the bills; there's nothing left to choose how I spend.
7. Pro: I get to take great vacations.
Con: Yes, I know, I have to pay for them ... but I still get to have great vacations!
A child I know summed it up for me from his perspective:
"Kids can go on fun rides at the fair and they can have pets. You do not get close to death when you are a kid but when you are grown up you might get close to death, really close. When you are a kid you can't die. Or, I guess, sometimes you can. I like being a kid because it is cool."
So, adults of the world, there's the verdict. We're not cool, we're close to dying, and we should never have grown up. Kids: take it from us nearly dead, uncool grownups: stay cool; stay alive; don't grow up.
Great post! I couldn't wait to grow up (which I know you'll agree with!) but sometimes, when $ is tight, or we have to chose 'responsible' over 'fun', i think "Man, this sure isn't what i thought it would be!!" ;)
ReplyDelete