Happy New Year to all my readers. Here's wishing you success, prosperity, and the desire to share your good fortune with others in 2013.
And so it has begun ... a brand new year. The year is all of one week old and I wonder how many people have already given up on their New Year's resolutions. I know I haven't ... simply because I chose them only yesterday.
I've been reading a little about resolutions lately and much of the material suggests that January 1st is not the best day to choose the ways we we're going to improve ourselves or change the way we live. The reason is that we're likely to have celebrated a little too enthusiastically the night before, or have eaten or drunk too much in the whole of the holiday season and on January 1 we're often overwhelmed with guilt and the strong desire to undo the effects as soon as possible. And so we're likely to choose unreasonable and unattainable goals that we can't possibly sustain for any length of time.
After a few days reflection and recuperation from any holiday excesses, we're much more likely to choose changes that we can sustain over time, especially if we're wanting to change habits that impact our physical health. On January 1 we might say, "I must diet, exercise an hour every day, and lose twenty pounds as soon as possible." A week later the chances are greater that we'll be able to say, "I want to eat healthier, exercise more, and feel better ... and I have a plan for how I'll do it."
So I waited and pondered and waited and pondered some more and finally I made my choices:
1. I resolve to get back on the diet that worked for me last year so that I can feel as healthy as I did then when I was eating such healthy foods.
2. I resolve to exercise a little more this year because I deserve to have a stronger body.
3. I resolve to write more, at least 5000 words a week, and to seek out more markets for my work.
4. I resolve to work harder at my job with a view to working fewer (but longer) days each week, so that I can have more time to write and read and do the things I never seem to have enough time for, like spending time with friends and family.
5. I resolve to forgive myself and start again when I fail to live up to these resolutions because I know that it takes time to change habits and I'm worth the effort.
Resolutions are, of course, only the first step and are only as good as the actions we take to follow through on them. I've done one day and so far ... so good.
No comments:
Post a Comment