Saturday, September 21, 2013

Football?

Had you asked me a few months ago, I'd have told you that football is a boring waste of time and I'd rather do almost anything but watch a game.  And, if we're talking professional football, I would probably still say the same thing.

But, if we're talking about my two grandsons' Atom and PeeWee leagues of the local football club ... well, that's an entirely different story. Suddenly football is interesting, very interesting. And to be honest, it's not just because the two handsomest and smartest boys I know are playing, although that's definitely one of the biggest parts of the sudden attraction.
Another part of the draw is that it's good football. You might wonder, in light of my opening statement, what I would know about good football. The truth, according to my somewhat circular logic, is if it can interest me, it must be good football. There's lots of action and drama at this level of play and you can't help but learn a little about the game when you want to know why a particular play didn't get the yards it appeared to have achieved or why a penalty was called when a young player had made a heroic effort towards a touchdown. And the more I learn, the more likely I am to remain interested in the game as my grandsons progress to more advanced levels of play.

"The squire" and I have been enjoying games this summer and now in fall and we're both delighted with how well "our boys" are playing. It's obvious they're having a great time and learning important life lessons at the same time. And making their grandparents so proud!
Speaking of proud, all the photos in this post are by the boys' mother, my lovely daughter, Jenn, who is a professional family photographer and loves to share photos of the boys with me. You can see more of her amazing work here:http://www.jennvogtphotography.blogspot.ca/

No comments:

Post a Comment