I've decided it's time to take my "writer's pulse" again. I made some very definite resolutions at the beginning of 2013 and I think it's good to check up on myself periodically. Otherwise, the danger is that I'll forget all those lofty resolutions about writing more and reading in my genre.
The reading part hasn't been difficult at all and I've enjoyed making more time for reading books similar to the one I hope to write and maybe even publish someday. As I read, I pay attention to how the authors achieve the effects I'm trying to create; how their use of language works (or doesn't) to evoke particular feelings in me as a reader.
As for the writing goals, my success rate is about 50%. I have managed to post here a little more regularly, except for in August when life got a little too crazy. In those weeks I was lucky to manage the deadlines for the newspaper that I write for weekly and a news magazine that has contracted with me for half a dozen pieces. I managed to add a few pages to the novel I'm working on a few months ago, but to be honest, I feel I could have done more ... or should have tried harder to do more.
Fortunately, the year is far from over and it's never too late to get back to it. I'm aiming to get the first draft finished by the end of the year, no matter how "rough" that rough draft turns out to be. It will be an incredible thrill to type "THE END."
No comments:
Post a Comment