Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Good Book Review


I just finished reading a great novel.  This multi-generational epic story has something for everyone.  Intrigue, betrayal, faithfulness, romance, family tensions, coming-of-age themes, spirituality, politics, history, and travel: this novel includes them all.

It’s a story I’d read before but this time I noticed a lot of things that I’d never paid much attention to before.  I think I was reading through different eyes: my writer’s eyes.  So I paid attention to how the author held his readers’ attention, how the suspense was built and drawn out to the fullest extent, and how the novel ended with the story’s many themes coming full circle.

By now, I’m sure you’ve guessed that the engrossing story I just finished reading was Genesis, the first book of the Bible.  A couple of weeks ago, I undertook to begin reading it at the beginning and make my way right through to the end, reading for pleasure and enjoyment as much as for faith-building.  And I’m a little surprised just how much I did enjoy the first “installment” of the love story between God and humanity.

I can hardly wait to start reading the sequel (hopefully tonight).  It’s called Exodus.

No comments:

Post a Comment