Thursday, July 7, 2011

She's A Gem

So, what do you think of the new look that my daughter, Jenn, and I designed for the blog just tonight?  The truth is she did all the work while my mind scrambled to keep up with the flood of new information coming my way all at once.  That's why I say that she's a gem.

At one point I found myself saying, "Oh dear, what have I got myself into here?" and it was her reassurance that it's all very manageable once you get used to it, that got me settled down and able to focus again.  You see, I love to write and blogging seemed like the perfect thing to keep me writing and being creative.

But, I am not, have never been, and never will be, technologically savvy.  If anything, I'm a "technophobe."  I'm fond of saying that I was dragged, kicking and screaming, into the computer age - because it's true.  Had I not so greatly wanted that Master's degree 15 years ago when I went back to school, I might have managed to avoid dealing with computers at all and still be writing on a typewriter.

Of course, when we moved to our country home almost six years ago, I was grateful that I had gained basic word processing skills and a little computer know-how, because here is where I've managed to unlock my inspiration.  Now I've got writing ideas spilling over and filling the notebooks I've started carrying everywhere, especially when I know I won't have access to a computer.  And, yes, I know that there are electronic notebooks and hand-held gadgets that would allow me never to be away from a computer, but I don't think I'm quite ready for some of those yet.

Or, maybe they're not quite ready for me yet.  One of my most common laments is that machines of any sort seem to break down as soon as they see me coming.  Whether it's my computer, the photocopier at work, or a function on my cell phone, I can make it malfunction with no effort at all.  I think electronics and other devices sense my tension as I approach and just freeze up, like a frightened animal that plays dead to escape a predator.  Then, what is so easy and natural for people like my husband and Jenn, becomes for me an ordeal involving blood, sweat, and occasionally even tears.

The biggest points in my favour are that I love to learn new things and I can be very persistent.  And I've been longing to start a blog for months now.  A good way for me to learn new things is by the "sink or swim" method.  To get past my technophobia I have to jump in and do my best.  Often I surprise myself and do fairly well.  That's how I got the blog started just yesterday.

Occasionally I get into trouble, whereupon I swallow my pride and turn to someone who has figured it out and has the patience to teach me what else I need to know.  That's what happened when I looked at the blog this morning and decided I was not happy with the basic layout I had chosen but couldn't  find the way to change it.  Fortunately, I'm also not afraid to ask for help.  So, I know that I will eventually get the hang of managing a blog, by hook or by crook (or by Jenn, who really is a gem). 

In the meantime, creating posts is feeling every bit as satisfying as I thought it would and I'm happy to think of other people reading what I post.  Feel free to comment because my country mile and yours can be even pleasanter and easier to travel when we can share a bit of it with each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment